Choosing the Right Work Place

When you have a mental health condition, the idea of work can be daunting. My bipolar disorder has gotten the better of me more times than I care to admit, especially at work. However, I've learned from past mistakes and I'm here to share what lessons I've accumulated. 

1. Research the company. 

First, look at the company's outlook on mental health resources as well as what resources are available to employees. Usually they'll have something like an Employee Resource department that includes mental health counseling and a few other items that are geared towards taking care of their people. However, the next step is the most crucial. Check apps such as Glassdoor and Fishbowl for reviews. Granted, you'll need to take each review with a grain of salt, but be on the lookout for red flags. You can also research any lawsuits the company has taken part in by googling their name and court case. You'd be surprised how many lawsuits are public knowledge. Pay attention to the finite details, you never know what you'll find. 

2. During the interview ask questions. 

The best thing you can do during an interview is ask questions. For the purpose of our post today, I'd recommend asking about work expectations during work hours and out of them (as in if you're expected to answer emails or etc while out of office, depending on the level of position you're applying for), and I'd also ask about support for mental health. Show that you are actively considering what stress the position would have on you and your life to show active engagement. But, I'd do research first. If the information is readily accessible on their website or reported through Glassdoor or Fishbowl, then you already have your answers, but it never hurts to ask. 

3. Decide what YOU want in a workplace

One of the most important things I've had to learn is that we, as individuals, have the power to choose our own lives with a few exceptions. In regard to choosing the right workplace thing about the environment you'd like to work in. Personally, I like to work in relatively calm environments where I can work one-on-one with individuals and sell them what they're looking for.  Recently, and as part of my hiatus, I've transitioned to a retail job selling clothes. I enjoy the occasional chaos that comes from the retail environment and it's what I initially went to school for. One day, I'd like to open my own boutique. 

I've worked in call centers, hospitals, restaurants, and law offices. And I've learned that call-centers spike my anxiety and stress levels worse than working in a hospital. Hospitals do the same, but there isn't much support for mental health and calling out can get you fired. Gotta love the reality of healthcare. Restaurants are more low-key, but now that I'm older I cannot particularly stand the noise so it makes it difficult to find a restaurant with relatively low noise levels. This is why I enjoy retail the most. Granted, the pay is better elsewhere, but balancing my hours with free time, I can pick up Door-dashing or my own side hustle to make some extra cash. This allows me to control my hours a bit better than say working at a hospital an hour away where there was no work-life balance.  


When you're deciding where you want to work, consider the workplace environment, the company's attitude towards mental health, work expectations, and what you want in a work-place. For example, what do you want your day to look like? Here's what I need in a workplace: 

1. The ability to call out on days I cannot handle my disorder. Yes, it happens, but not often. 

2. The ability to control my schedule to some degree. Such as deciding what days I want to or am willing to work. Generally, I take off Mondays for self-care, appointments, and house cleaning. I then work the rest of the week with an extra day off. 

3. I need a quieter work place where it isn't too loud and I can focus on multiple things at a time if I want too. Retail is the right environment for that.

4. It needs to be lower-level stress than past jobs. Meaning, I need to be able to protect my mental health every day without suffering major setbacks. I may be bipolar, but I still need to function. 


All of this is to say, put your mental health first alongside your wants and needs. Where there's a will, there's a way. 

<3

E

Comments

Popular Posts