Goodbye 2023, Hello 2024

 Hello my lovely readers, 

There's a few rituals I'm going to share with you that I do almost every year that aid my transition into the new year. 

First things first, I clean the house. And I mean deep clean. I reorganize every cabinet drawer and dresser, I purge all the things I no longer use, want or need, and I weed out my wardrobe to make room for new things. This year is especially important I do this because I'm working on a weight loss goal of 60 pounds.

Yup, in full transparency I'm 60 pounds overweight. I wear it well, but it's weighing on my health. I have high blood pressure and have to take medication to manage it. My doctor thinks it'll go away when I lose the weight, but we'll have to see. High blood pressure and diabetes runs in my family and I'm trying to get ahead of it before I have a family of my own or get to a point where it's not reversible. 

Second thing, I set my goals for the year and create monthly benchmarks. While this may not seem as fun as resolutions, goals are better for your mental health because they allow more flexibility. 

For example, let's say I'm hyperfixated on losing the 60 pounds as fast as I can and I want to go to the gym every day. Is the resolution of I'm getting up at 5am every day to go to the gym feasible? No. and it's not realistic. Therefore, a more reasonable compromise would be to set a SMART goal. SMART goals are: specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound. 

Specific: My goal is to lose 60 pounds. 

Measurable: My smaller goal is to lose five pounds a month. 

Achievable: This is doable with dietary changes and exercise

Relevant: This is important to my overall health

Time-bound: My goal is by December 31 of next year. 

In full transparency, if I even get close I will be happy with the progress. Because this goal isn't to beat myself up over poor lifestyle choices in the past, but to show myself I am capable of progress and change. Which, being human, is an automatic given. When you're setting your goals for this year, use the SMART model. I am confident you'll find you achieve more over time if you can break it down the way I did. Let's look at another example, just for kicks. 

My goal: To meditate every other day. 

Specific: Every other day at 8am

Measurable: I can keep track on my phone with the Calm app or other habit tracker

Achievable: I can set reminders and if I don't get it at 8am I can reset for another time that day. 

Relevant: This is important for my mental health

Time-bound: Every other day at 8am. Total 183 times this next year. 

This one doesn't work as well, but it still works. 


Here's a short list of some of my goals for 2024: 

1- Lose 60 pounds

2- Run 3 5ks and work up to a 10k

3- Meditate every other day


These are the top three that are the most important to me, I have others, but they're farther down on the list and some are a little more personal. 

The new year is a chance to start-over, reinvent ourselves and focus on the things that are important, but remember you can start fresh at any time. So let's make 2024 the best year yet. Focus on what's important to you and how you want to grow this year. Let me know in the comments how I can best help you. I'm always looking for ways to help so don't be shy. 

Happy New Year!

Love, 

E

Comments

Popular Posts