The Practice of Water

 Water, the Earth is 71% water. Your body contains up to 60% water. So why is it we drink more soda, coffee and tea on average than water? Because it provides a quick pick me up, an energy boost, and it tastes good. But did you know water can boost your mental health?

According to Buxton Water Company, water not only reinforces communication between cells, but also flushes out toxins that impair brain function. Some other benefits of drinking water include increased short term memory, ability to make clear decisions, and "stronger cognitive functioning" (buxtonwater.co.uk). So how much is enough?

According to the Mayo Clinic, adult men should get 15.5 cups or 3.7 liters per day and adult women should get 11.5 or 2.7 liters per day. I personally aim for a gallon a day, but that's also due to several factors. First, my exercise amount. I aim to run a 5K about two or three times per week, depending on how I'm physically feeling. On days I don't run I focus on muscle groups instead and do a low-key cardio workout. Right now, I'm about 198 so I'm aiming to improve my cardio fitness, increase cognitive function, balance my mental health, and get enough water so I don't get dehydrated. Keep in mind certain medications can require an increased intake of water to prevent dehydration which can be detrimental to your mental health. 

Buxton Water Company lists some of the effects of dehydration as: memory loss, poor focus and attention, slow processing of information, irritability and headaches. But think of it this way, if you're not getting enough water, you're not getting what you need to flush out those pesky toxins that impede our mental health, or feed your muscles to replenish themselves after a tough workout, or flush out your kidneys so they don't have toxin buildup which can lead to kidney problems. 

Water is critically important for overall body function, but I find when I drink my water like I'm supposed to, I do better overall especially with my mental health. It allows me to be more creative and function with a clearer mind. I can't say enough good things about it. So while the cardinal rule is six to eight glasses a day, evaluate your lifestyle and decide what's best for you. For me, that's close to a gallon, but most days I hit about 3/4 of that. Either way, drink water, think better, live better. 

Love, 

E

References: 

 https://www.buxtonwater.co.uk/articles/health-and-hydration/why-staying-hydrated-is-so-important 

  https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256

Comments

Popular Posts