The Practice of Handling Set Backs

 This topic wasn't initially on my list to write about, but after this weekend I feel like it's appropriate to address it. Set backs are a normal part of life. Maybe we gain back some of the weight we've lost, or end up taking a lesser-responsibility job to get by. Either way, set backs come in all shapes and sizes. The hard part is picking up the pieces and choosing to continue.

Last year I lost 32 pounds. I went from 215 to 183 and was super proud of myself. I was dancing three nights a week, working out three days a week, and was super active at my retail job. However, after I started at the hospital, I wasn't as active. Sure, I was getting my steps in on a daily basis, but that's not enough. I wasn't taking my thyroid medication because of scheduling (one hour no food before or after taking it) and work demands kept me out of the gym. Recently, I made the decision to leave the hospital. The stressful environment combined with my mental health was just a bad mix overall. This past weekend I did the hard thing. I stepped on the scale to face reality. 

Since my weight loss I've gained back 17 pounds. What I didn't realize is that if I wanted to keep up the pace of losing weight I was going to have to keep it going. I thought if I just went to work I'd keep it up. Boy was I wrong, even if you have an active job you have to keep active. So now, we're back to square 2. The good news is, with my new job I'll be able to keep up with working out and taking my medicine so I can get back on track. I'll likely do an update once I let go of the first 15. After that, we'll see. My goal is to be an encouragement to everyone who reads this blog so that you can say if she can do it, I can do it.

Yesterday was my first day back in the gym in over two weeks. I have a new goal of five days a week in the gym two of which doing intensive cardio. My second goal is to go dancing once a week, where I live has plenty of dance opportunities within an hour's drive so I really have no excuse. I think if I can get back on track I can still reach my goals.

Set backs are difficult to manage, they make us feel weak, tired, unfit, and all sorts of horrible things. But, if we set aside our negative self-talk and focus on the good things about it, such as: I did it once, I can do it again, then we can get through it and achieve our goals. The important thing is that we learn from our setbacks and keep going anyway. 

Love, 

E

Comments

Popular Posts