The Practice of Discipline

 When it comes to life there is nothing you cannot achieve, if only you set your mind to it. Now, granted that statement comes with an addendum of "within reason". Each of us is given a set of restrictions. For example, with me it's my mental health. I have to mitigate how much stress I take on and process and I have to carefully screen my environment for any potential triggers due to the PTSD. Fun, right? Not in the slightest. It's exhausting, it's annoying, and it's downright disheartening. For example, when I want to go to a movie, but can't because there's been a combo of rapid cycling with sensory overload. When that's over, and life in my brain returns to normal, there's a ton of discipline that accompanies the rebuilding and maintaining process. It's kind of like I mentioned in the last post. I lost a ton of weight, but gained most of it right back because I wasn't focused on maintaining my advances. Likewise, with my mental health I have to be disciplined in getting it back on track.

Getting things back on track looks like making sure I get at least eight to ten hours of sleep, plus making sure I'm eating enough, drinking my 64 oz of water, meditating, doing my therapy exercises, de-nesting (which is to say cleaning my house/room), and getting back to exercising during hours that are low-population at the gym. It's a whole host of things and it's irritating and frustrating but here's what I've found as a result of maintaining that discipline. 

1- I'm happier overall

2- My emotions are more stable and I'm less agitated

3- I can literally do most anything I want

4- When I feel good, I feel successful which means I can focus on the projects important to me. Like this blog.

Discipline looks different to everyone but the main thing is that you're holding yourself accountable for your goals and the processes that make you feel happy and fulfilled. The best way to do it is through finding an accountability app such as ME+. Yes, it's subscription, but it makes it easy for me to create a morning routine that works and sets me on track for a better day.

What does your discipline look like? Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!

Love, 

E

Comments

Popular Posts